Tuesday, March 20, 2012

'Cai Luong'-To Transform

            Art, whether taking in the varied expressions of another artist, or painting or drawing my own, it makes me at home wherever I go; providing a serene space. After a rough couple of weeks, I finally had enough energy to go out during the day this weekend. I told myself, even if it was for a few hours, I needed to go out and stick to my plan of visiting as many Art galleries as I possibly could. Saturday morning, after devouring some left-over food from Ganesh, one of the city’s best Indian restaurant’s just across the street, I made my way to De Tam street, where a gallery called  ‘Galerie Quynh’ was located. I wasn’t too sure where it was located in comparison to my bearings of the city, but it was in District 1, so it couldn’t be to far off.
           As the taxi came to a slow place, turned left and starting to make it’s way through the backpacker district, I started to cringe. I had recently been there with my friend Lauren, and we both disliked our hour spent there. An artificial oasis of all things tourist, streets strewn with hostels, dinky bars, travel agencies; this place is over-run with the type of tourists that don’t care about their actions and are mostly here for the wrong reasons. As insular as my living in District 1 can be, and I recognize the privilege of living in this ‘good area’ of town, I still feel and experience Vietnam. There, I felt out of place, a different type of out of place I’ve felt in my time here…
            I arrived at Galerie Qunyh, and from across the street it looked closed. The taxi driver was unsure as well, so I decided to tell him to wait, and I would walk out to check and see if it was open. I was happy and relieved to see someone behind the front desk, and signaled to the taxi driver that it was open, who waved, smiled and drove off. I entered the gallery and took a deep breath in, overwhelmed by the heat outside and then taking in the burst of cool air. The sudden visual encounter of the art-strewn walls was welcomed and I was happy that this current exhibit featured a range of local and foreign artists.  A gallery on two levels, the first was mainly illustrations, from ink and watercolour, and a few charcoal drawings. The art work on the second floor was my favourite part of this exhibit. The artist I was most drawn to was Hoang Du'ong Cam. The series is  entitled 'Cai Luong', which means 'Transform’.
One of the featured pieces of Cai Luong ' To Transform'
I loved this piece, hence the shameless self portrait of me in front of it!
            Before leaving, I signed up for the next exhibit opening, thanks to the coaxing of  a pleasant staff, a Canadian-born but bearing a strong Australian accent after living there for several years. After my time there, I walked—cautious of my environment as the gallery was a little bit past the backpacker’s area, and made my way back up to the main street, stopping to take a few photos and browsing stores along the way. I treated myself to lots of window-shopping and a bit of actual shopping--including a hand-made beaded ring, which the store-owner said when I put it on ‘That looks so nice on you! It suits you!’ Maybe it was just  to seal the deal, but I bought it—literally, as I do think it looked really good! My trip was a bit short-lived, as I still get tired really quickly thanks to my friend, the parasite.
The view on my walk back
           I was happy I went, and from that visit, I left feeling content with the work I just got to see, and inspired to commit to making time for art more of a habit for myself after graduation. I’ve found out about several galleries I want to visit before I leave. Did I mention I have less than 2 months left? I need to start checking MORE things of my bucket list. This week, although not so excited about the long bus ride to get there, I’ll be thankful that a trip to Phnom Penh, Cambodia—made necessary by needing to extend my visa, will allow me to definitely see two of my friends from BC, possibly three! I’m definitely looking forward to seeing familiar faces and being around their warm and funny personalities again!


2 comments:

  1. Your friend, the parasite, has overstayed its welcome. I want to see this ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! very much so..i'm looking forward to it being gone soon- few weeks left! Lol, I'll try to remember to take a pic of it and send you :P

      Delete